Saturday, March 21, 2015

Burger 17: Shake Shack Shack Burger

From its beginning in 2004, Shake Shack was not originally designed to be a chain restaurant.  Opening in Madison Square Park, in New York City, Shake Shack started out as a kiosk offering a basic menu of burgers, hot dogs, and shakes.  As this location proved to be very successful, the owners saw the market for expansion.  On January 29, 2015 Shake Shack went public and opened at $21 per share.  On the morning of January 30, 2015, the stock had risen to $47 per share.  I did not buy any shares.  Today there are 63 Shake Shacks in business, and I wish I bought equally as many shares.

The Shake Shack I trekked to is in Garden City, New York.  I ordered my Shack Burger, took my "buzzer" (because it's inappropriate to call them "vibrators" judging from the disapproving look on the female cashier when I called it that), and sat down and waited for my food.  After about five or so minutes, my "buzzer" vibrated (because it didn't "buzz"), and I went up to the counter to claim burger number seventeen.  The burger, my drink, and fries all assembled this way and that on a silver metal tray...and I digress.

Let's talk about these metal trays.  BurgerFi uses them.  Burger Bandit uses them.  Shake Shack uses them.  Here's an idea: Maybe Oscar is such a grouch because all of these fast casual places keep cutting his home apart, flattening it down, and serving my food on a former garbage can with a cusped edge.  I don't see the benefit.

And now I return my focus to the Shack Burger.

Shack Burger: two beef patties, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, and Shack Sauce

The Beef: The double beef patty had a tender, juicy taste.  By tender and juicy, I am obviously referring to the grease soaked insides which creates the tenderness.  2 out of 4.

The Bun: It must be a pairing with the metal tray, because every metal tray establishment so far has served their burgers on a plain potato roll, and everyone knows how I feel about those.  They're mush.  I would've stood up and yelled about this "mush" in the middle of Shake Shack, but then my sled dogs would have thought I wanted to go and they would have taken me straight out of there (mush?).  1 out of 4.

The Beef to Bun Ratio: With all the aforementioned mush, it made the beef very outstanding on this sandwich.  It's the one good thing about potato rolls, they bump up your beef to bun ratio a considerable amount.  3 out of 4.

Presentation:  I visited this venue at a slow hour (meaning there were only a few tables available instead of a line out the door).  So when I got my burger, and my lettuce and tomato weren't even on the burger but playing hide and seek in the wax paper wrapping, I was confused.  The assembly man must have been trying to break the world record for fastest assembly, even though it wasn't really quite assembled.  2 out of 4.

The Cheese: The perfectly melted yellow cheese engulfed the burger patties and there wasn't a single section that wasn't ooey, gooey, and delightful (in that order with the Oxford comma). 2 out of 3.

The Sear:  The sear was consistent around the edges but lost its kick in the middle, where it faded to the brownish meat, that doesn't look near as appetizing as the seared meat.  I suppose that is what the bun is for. 2 out of 3.

Overall Taste: Between the Shack Sauce, American cheese, and beef, biting into this burger again and again was enjoyable.  I wish the potato roll would have been toasted, or completely replaced with a different kind of roll...especially when you're selling these little guys for $7.35 a pop.  3 out of 5.

BBSR: 15 / 27

No comments:

Post a Comment