Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Burger 15: Checkers/Rally's Big Buford

Checkers and Rally's began as two separate entities.  Checkers was founded in Mobile, Alabama in 1985 by Jim Mattei.  Rally's was founded in Louisville, Kentucky in 1986 by CKE Restaurants (same company that operates Carl's Jr. and Hardee's).  It was until a merger in 1999 when Checkers and Rally's conformed their look to fit one another.  Except for the name, the two restaurants now look almost identical, and there are over 800 restaurants operating in the United States.

If you haven't heard of Checkers/Rally's it's time you do.  I suggest taking a trip for the fries alone.  No fast food restaurant I have been to sells fries that are so completely and utterly delicious, it is impossible to just get a small or medium order.  If America wasn't so fat and had to disgrace us by eliminating the XL size option from menus across the country I would go for that size.  Instead...I just buy two larges and call it a day.

Side Note: Checkers restaurants are known for their double drive-thru. This means if you are somewhat absent minded, like me, and go through the lane with the window on the passenger side of the vehicle, and you are alone in the car, you are going to have to do some serious leaning to get your food.  I took off the seatbelt, put one leg over the e-brake, reached as far as I could (as did the drive-thru guy through the window), and we performed a fast food version of the True Lies scene where Arnold is holding Jamie Lee by his fingertips outside the helicopter.

Big Buford: I don't know who or what Buford is but it sure is Big. Two big beefy patties, two slices of cheese, generous amounts of lettuce, tomato, pickles, red onions, ketchup, and mayo, all on a toasted bun, makes a burger so large I actually had a difficult time putting my mouth around it. 

The Beef: The beef was a fast food beef, but very thick and very juicy. It tasted like it was chargrilled as opposed to the standard microwaved beef taste. Checkers does beef the way fast food should do beef...slightly better than failing. 2 out of 4. 

The Bun: The bun wasn't your standard sesame seed bun. This bun was toasted. Actually toasted. This bun was bready and not that standard "bite into and turn to mush" fast food bun. This bun was a 2 out of 4. 

The Beef to Bun Ratio: Remember when I said I couldn't put my mouth around this burger? Partly due to the toppings, largely due to the two meaty beef patties underneath all those toppings, this burger had enough meat to finish and feel a sense of accomplishment after. As I sat in my car thinking about what I just ate, this burger had my blood and my mind at a standstill. Enough beef for a 3 out of 4 on the BTBR. 

Presentation: Wrapped in foil and placed in a bag, there's not much presentation here. But the ability to stack everything but the kitchen sink into this bun was impressive in itself. 2 out of 4. 

The Cheese: Checkers uses a standard typical yellow cheese that does not quite melt (because let's face it, you're going to need something more than a hot burger to melt plastic). 1 out of 3. 

The Sear: I looked at the patties and each patty looked as if it had been grilled and seared to a pretty good chargrill for a fast food burger. 2 out of 3. 

Overall Taste: I ordered the Big Buford which is enough calories and saturated fat (happiness) for me to take on by itself.  But the drive-thru guy decided it was a great idea to add bacon to this sandwich and charge me 0.79 cents extra for it. Well this is what I have to say about that: I hope he gets employee of the month because that is some initiative to assume I want bacon on my burger. Overall the tastes mixed well, the abundance of meat and toppings tally up to a 3 out of 5. 

BBSR: 15 / 27

No comments:

Post a Comment